Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Continuing our Travels

We have really been logging some frequent staycation miles over the past two weeks. First we went to Ethiopia. First of all, Miles thinks Mark is black, so we had to learn about Africa, and how it is a completely different continent than the one Mexico is on. Ethiopia is mainly a Christian country, dating back to Ethiopia's Queen of Sheba who visited King Solomon and had a son. Many of the holidays, festivals, and crafts of Ethiopia reflect their Christian heritage, so the kids made clay crosses. Do you think they should wear these to church next week?

Making these required a lot of patience for the kids because they had to roll out the clay, cut it, decorate it, dry it, and then paint it and let it dry again.

Next, we went to China, where thanks to the Nickelodeon show "Ni Hao, Kai-Lan", we already knew how to say "Ni Hao" for hello. The kids are quite fascinated by China, which is the most populated country, produces the most rice in the world, and the main religions are Confucianism, Buddhism, and Taoism. They learned about Yin and Yang, Buddah and Confuscius. Combine all of this with learning about Islam and Christianity last week, and they are confused, but interested in the fact that there are many different places and different beliefs in the world. So that's good. We made a Chinese "door god" today. The door gods are believed to protect the homes with swords and warlike expressions to keep away evil spirits. But my kids added some glitter to their door gods for some pizzaz (and also to give them more to do on the project). I think they turned out pretty well, and the kids have them hanging in their room to keep away bad dreams.

We're enjoying our travels, and I am especially looking forward to eating some good Chinese food...all for the sake of education, of course.

6 comments:

lisset said...

can i steal all your ideas? seriously. you rock.

JessicaP said...

Mark's NOT black???
Do you find your ideas for your crafts in the books you read or do you come up with them yourself or do you find them on the internet?
I'm enjoying joining you on your staycations - keep up the travelogue!

Kris said...

Have the boys ever met a real black person? Not that Mark's not really black...

gretchen said...

Thanks guys. I'm having as much fun as my kids. I always was a sucker for making crafts.

Jessica, we get most of the ideas from the books we read, and I've pulled some stuff off the internet. Like today we learned about the Chinese zodiac and I printed a picture of their year animal from the internet.

Kristen, indeed, Miles has had several black classmates by Utah standards. Mark always says he has black eyes...maybe that's where Miles came up with the idea. Or maybe Mark is black/mexican/english. I think my kids just wish they had inheirited his skin tone!

k said...

To you I say "pizzaz" in a...effeminate tone.

gretchen said...

k - with spirit fingers!!